Additionally, here’s an entire guide to moving yourself.
2-3 Weeks: Start The Packing Process
It should take you around 2-3 weeks to pack your home without stress.
The more you’re prepared for the movers, if you’re movers charge by the hour, the lower the cost will be.
- Non-essential items are always packed first – Start by packing any unused storage rooms, closets, garage, etc. The kitchen is usually packed last.
- Pack by room – Pack each room at a time and keep packed boxes in each room. This will make it easier to label the boxes correctly and will help you stay organized.
- Label your boxes – Write the name of what is in the box and what room it belongs to on the side of each box. This will help you organize your boxes in the correct rooms when they arrive at your new home.
- Stage non-essential items in the garage – Use your garage space as a place for boxed up items that don’t necessarily have a specific room where they belong to.
- Don’t have movers pack and move valuable and/or personal items – Always pack and move your valuables and personal items so you can be sure they make it to your new home safely.
I also want to share with you our 3 most important packing tips when moving.
3 Most Crucial Packing Tips For Moving
- Gather your valuable items – Don’t let the movers move your small valuable items like jewelry, cash, checkbooks etc. In fact, movers specifically don’t want to move your high-value items because they don’t want to be held responsible if items get lost during the hectic moving process.
- Pack a day box – This may include any medications, toiletries, clothes, airline tickets if moving long-distance, and anything else you may need on a daily basis. You may need several of these boxes, but the purpose is to not lose anything you need on a daily basis in the depths of random moving boxes.
- Give yourself enough time – It’s not until you start packing and moving your home you realize how much stuff you actually have. Be sure to give yourself enough time in advance to pack for your move.
1 Week: The Finishing Touches
- Start packing the kitchen – This may sound like a daunting process but it doesn’t have to be! The key to packing your kitchen is staying organized and using the correct materials to make sure your dishes and glassware do not break. To learn how to properly pack dishes watch this video.
- Start packing clothes, bedding, etc. – Dressers may be moved with some clothes in them as long as they’re not jammed packed and as long as the dresser is sturdy.
- If you only have one week – If you’re moving in a hurry check out our moving in a hurry guide here.
How Do I Pack For Your Move – When packing for your move, you should first decide what’s going to be moved. There’s no point in moving anything you don’t need or could be donated or thrown away. After acquiring the right packing materials you should pack all your non-essential items room by room. Fragile items should be wrapped and protected with packing paper and dish pack boxes. Also, make sure you pack your boxes according to the weight of the goods. Heavy items go in smaller boxes and lighter items into larger boxes.
Should you pack your items yourself or hire a moving company to pack? – If you want a full-service move where you don’t have to do much, definitely hire the movers to pack your goods. If you’ve hired the right moving company, they’ll know how to safely and quickly pack each and every item you have. But, many movers charge their normal rates for packing services and that could be as much as $100-$120 per hour for 2 people. If saving money is important, pack yourself and make it as easy as possible for the movers to just come in, wrap your furniture load your boxes and go. If you’re packing yourself, usually, the movers will not be responsible for any damage that may occur inside the boxes.